Tuesday, August 19, 2008

movies I must rewatch within two days:

Sometimes I get in these moods where I'm kind of overly inspired-- I get a flood of thoughts and impulses and require all sorts of new input. This tends to be a good thing for me as an individual, but a horrible, HORRIBLE thing for my bank account. ;)

Fortunately, my recent purchases haven't set me back as much as usual. There was the Fashion Rocks supplement from eBay that cost about 6 dollars (including shipping)... I was desperate to have it because of the Sasha + Dhani edit and now that it's here, it's sitting untouched on my bureau. I guess it's enough just to know it's there, LOL. There's also the used Kinks cd that arrived yesterday that I'm ridiculously excited to listen to. I have loads of their stuff but one can never have enough from them as far as I'm concerned... for the record, they led me to my blog title; 'Harry Rag' is a song of theirs, and apparently it's slang for a rolled cigarette. The Kinks always educate!

My other, slightly more costly mini-adventures include forays into cooking and the big bright world of custom perfumes. I wanted to make beans recado so of course I had to order some annato seed from Penzeys (and then a spice grinder from Amazon). And since I'm easily seduced by the lure of new fragrances, I've been nosing around the website for Aftelier Perfumes. It's expensive so I'm letting the prospect of ordering samples tumble around in my head for a while before I do anything... rash. Which I'm sure will happen anyway.

However, when it comes to wreckless spending, my biggest vice is by far the cinema! Usually I subject myself to anything heavy but this summer has offered a lot by way of interesting, non-depressing films. First there was The Dark Knight (overrated, but still good), then Pineapple Express a couple weeks ago, then Tropic Thunder this past weekend. Tropic Thunder was hilaaaarious, especially because of Robert Downey Jr. and a running 'Simple Jack' joke that I've been referencing every 4.2 minutes since I saw the movie. Pineapple Express was... cute. Not altogether funny, but the Seth Rogen-James Franco relationship was kinda sweet! If nothing else you can just stare at Franco the whole time. *worth it*

Anyway, back to my original point. I'm in that overly inspired mood again, and when that happens I always get this need to rewatch any movies that happen to suit me at the moment. My list currently includes:

1) About A Boy: I think this has to be one of the most all-around perfect films I've seen. I love every character, every casting choice, the story, the theme... not to mention it's simply very funny as well. Oh and it led me to my love affair with Badly Drawn Boy! I bought the soundtrack right after seeing this in theater.
2) Music & Lyrics: Honestly, I realize that a lot of movies in this genre are completely bland and soul-sucking but I think this one is quite clever, and I like how it follows the creative process of making music throughout the film. Even if you cropped out all the romantic stuff it would still be a solid movie thanks to that. Also, props to Hugh Grant. Personally I think that he probably has about two inches worth of range, but he REALLY knows how to choose roles that suit the way the public perceives him, and he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. So good on him. ;)
3) This Is Spinal Tap: Here we go. Spinal Tap is classic! I saw this for the third time about two months ago, then yesterday I was browsing the MSN homepage and there was a teeny thumbnail picture of Noel Gallagher (getting attention only for being caught up in another one of his insecurity-driven feuds) and as I said on tFS, he really was this close to looking like Nigel from Spinal Tap. Sad for him, hysterical for me!
4) Harold And Maude: I'm one of those people who is always in relationships that are just a touch 'abnormal' by common standards, so this movie speaks to me. Plus, Harold is just... I remember seeing this for the first time and thinking he was the sweetest thing in the world.
5) There's Something About Mary: Actually this came to mind because of Harold And Maude! There's a scene when Mary is talking to Matt Dillon's character (who's spying on her and trying really hard to get into her pants) and he impresses her by saying how Harold And Maude is 'the greatest love story of our time' or something like that. Soooo smooth.












{rotten tomatoes}

1 comment:

FASHION CHALET said...

Another classic: A Christmas Story (the photo of the boy reminded me!) :)